Humans have no other way to detect carbon monoxide than by using a carbon monoxide detector. This colourless, odourless gas can very quickly pose life-threatening risks when leaking into your home. That is why it is so important to have a working carbon monoxide detector on every level of your home, including the basement.
Installing carbon monoxide detectors in your home can be more intricate than a simple smoke detector. Below are some reasons why you should look into hiring an electrician for your carbon monoxide detector installation.
The safety of everyone in your home: As mentioned above, CO is an odourless, tasteless, and colourless gas. The only way to know of its presence indoors is through the use of carbon monoxide detectors. Having your carbon monoxide detector installed by a professional saves you from worrying if your detector is in working order. When you are depending on a device for the safety of your home and everyone inside it, it is worth the peace of mind to have your detector’s effectiveness guaranteed.
The intricacies of installing a carbon monoxide detector: There are several factors that make carbon monoxide detectors more challenging to install than other household detectors:
- The placement of your carbon monoxide detector is crucial to its functionality. In order to detect the gas, detectors should be installed on a wall about five feet above the floor. Depending on if your device is wired or battery-powered, the placement of your divide will vary.
- Installing your carbon monoxide detector is not just one and done. It is required to have one per level of your home, which makes this process more tedious.
- Professionals know the best placement for your carbon monoxide detectors. A couple of examples that pertain to the placement of your carbon monoxide detectors are whereabouts in proximity to open flames and also the distance away from your garage, as car fumes can be a danger in contributing to the CO levels in your home.
Varying codes to abide by: Electricians are very familiar with the codes and regulations that surround the installation of all things electrical in your home. Ensuring your carbon monoxide detectors are up to code at installation will save you time and money down the road with any adjustments that may need to be made.
At the end of the day, you don’t want to have to worry about whether or not your carbon monoxide detector is working. That is why you should trust your local experts at AJ’s Electrical. With over 30 years of combined experience serving all over the Lower Mainland, our professionals know the in and outs of all things electrical installation and always have you and your family’s best interest in mind. Need our help with your new home, renovations, or have another inquiry? Contact us today!