Common Electrical Hazard
The most effective way to avoid an electrical accident in your home is by knowing the common electrical hazard to watch out for. Though homes rely heavily on electricity for comfort, powering electronics, and making life simpler, the high frequency currents can be harmful if not maintained properly. In order to keep yourself, your family and your home protected from injury and household damage, keep reading to find out what common electrical hazards to be cautious of in your home.
Appliances Near Water Sources
Homeowners often make the mistake of plugging an appliance in near a water source. If your plugged in appliance is wet, it is crucial to not unplug it. In this case, open your electrical panel and ensure the power source to the outlet is turned off prior to unplugging the appliance. With that being said, it is also important to always unplug devices when they are not in use. In these areas, it is wise to consider installing a ground fault circuit interrupter, you can protect your outlet by minimizing the risk of electrocution or shock as GFCIs cut off power when detecting a shock. If you do not have GFCI outlets, an electrician can have them added to your outlet or electrical panel.
Circuit Breaker Issues
Without realizing, the audible buzzing you have normalized hearing in your home or slight smell of plastic can be a sign of a major issue. These problems can be a sign of a circuit breaker issue, likely from a poorly insulated wire causing an electrical overload. It is crucial to be aware of these small factors that may be pointing to a fuse box or circuit breaker issue, as they can lead to a fire hazard.
Incorrect Light Bulb Wattage
When replacing a light bulb, it is important to check and see what light bulb wattage your lamp can accommodate. Using a light bulb with too high of a wattage may lead to a wire overload, potentially leading to a fire hazard. This is easily avoidable by checking your light bulbs wattage and your lamps maximum wattage, which can be found on your lamp’s socket.
Extensions Cords – Electrical Hazard
Believe it or not, extension cords can be a danger in the home simply because they are a major tripping hazard! It is important to be mindful about where your extension cords are laying around and if necessary, tape them to the floor to avoid injuries in high traffic areas. With the unused sockets on an extension cord, consider using a plastic socket closure, and ensure you are not using the cord for too many appliances.
Wet hands – Electrical Hazard
In addition to avoiding wet areas with plugged-in appliances, you should never handle an electrical appliance with wet hands. Wet hands increase the possibility of getting an electric shock, which is important to keep in mind when plugging in a hair dryer post shower! Make sure to keep your appliances at a safe distance from showers, sinks or baths.
There are many household dangers to be aware of as a homeowner, in order to prioritize the safety of yourself, your family and your home. If you are worried about a potential hazard in your home, Contact us today for an electrical inspection where we can help resolve them! This way the next time you plug in your hair dryer, you will feel confident that your home’s electrical system is safe and secure!