5 Sign Faulty Wiring is Affecting Your House

May 26, 2021

Outdated and faulty wiring is not something to be taken lightly. In some cases it may be a simple fix, however if not taken care of this can become extremely dangerous. In order to keep you and your family safe, there are preventative measures that can be taken.

 

1) Keep Track of Circuit Breaker Trips

It is common for a home circuit breaker to trip, as they are designed to shut down when being overloaded. In many cases there are breakers in homes to switch back on the power when this happens. However, if it continues to happen regularly, there could be an underlying electrical issue that requires some attention. If it happens to the same breaker more than a few times a month, an electrician should be involved. If the breaker is being overloaded, this is usually due to having too many high-energy devices or appliances sharing the same circuit.

 

2) Observe for Flickering and Dimming Lights

Having the breaker physically switch off is not the only sign of faulty wiring. Another sign to look out for is the sound of slight buzzing, flickering, or dimming of lights. If lights flicker or dim when using other appliances, this is a sign that an upgrade is required to ensure safety.

 

3) Observe your Wall Outlets

Another way to check the wiring in your home for faults is by observing the wall outlets. If they are either vibrating or become warm this should be looked at by a qualified electrician immediately. Taking the preventative step and having it looked at before something happens is both cost effective and safer in the long term.

 

4) Search for Discolouration, Scorching or Smoke

If any discoloration is observed on the outlets of your home, this should be investigated as soon as possible. This is a sign wiring in your home has become damaged and the outlet is emitting additional heat that it should not be. Scorching and smoke are other telltale signs that something is out of the ordinary.

 

5) Look out for Frayed Wiring

Rodents and other animals often have the desire to chew up wires. When these wires become exposed and frayed, it can become a dangerous fire hazard. If you spot any problems of this kind you should contact a licensed professional and not try to fix the problem yourself.

Taking preventative measures can ensure your home stays safe. Our expert team at AJ’s Electrical is happy to troubleshoot any electrical problems in your home. If you have any reason to believe your home may contain some faulty wiring contact us for a free quote today.

w

Get a Free Estimate

If you are looking to contact an Electrician in the Lower Mainland then please call 604-946-8946 or complete our online request form.

Call Now ButtonCall Today